An Appreciation - Frank Mc Mahon 13th April 1949– 1st May 2008
The passing of Frank Mc Mahon has deprived the Edendork community of one of its most respected members. Frank was involved in many activities associated with Edendork but most notably with St Malachy’s, Edendork football club which he served with distinction all his life as a playing member, committee member, fundraiser and organiser. His proudest day was at the opening of the new playing field and pavilion over which as Club Secretary, he had devoted many long hours of tireless work to see to its completion.
Frank Mc Mahon was a committee member of St Malachy’s, Edendork almost continuously from the early 1960’s. He was elected Secretary in 1978 to 1979 and again from 1987 to 1994. He was Assistant Secretary in 1982, 1986 and 1987; Press Officer 1983 to 1987 and Assistant Treasurer 2000/2001. Frank brought to all his club positions a very thorough approach and a loyalty and commitment to the club that was an example to all of us.
In November 1981 St Malachy’s decided to produce a Club History to coincide with its 50 years and as a contribution to the centenary celebrations of Cumann Lúthchleas Gael in1984. Frank Mc Mahon, as Assistant Editor, was at the heart of this project and he took responsibility for the history of the club from its formation in 1932 to the early 1950’s.
Frank Mc Mahon’s great interest was in club development and St Malachy’s were very grateful that Frank was Club Secretary from 1987 to 1994. This was the period when the present facilities on Rossmore Road were developed. As Club Secretary, Frank was involved, with a number of other club members, in all aspects of the development of the pitch and the new clubhouse facilities. Unlike many modern club developments this project received little or no financial support from external agencies and was completed and paid for by the support from the local people and hard working committee members like Frank Mc Mahon. Frank was a very proud man when the facility was opened and the first games played and later when we hosted our first County Final for the Tyrone County Board.
Frank Mc Mahon was a great Gael and a great worker and club volunteer for St Malachy’s throughout his adult life. We have, as a mark of a great clubman, his contribution to our club history, his central role in the development of our present facilities, the time and commitment he devoted to all the positions he held within the club and his loyalty to Cumann Lúthchleas Gael and to Cumann Naomh Mhaelsheachlainn, Éadán dTorc. His advice and wisdom will be greatly missed by St Malachy’s and most of all by his family and friends.